Instructions for Downloading eBooks
To view your downloaded eBook offline, you need to first download the right app for your device:
PC Computer: Adobe Digital Edition 2.0 http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/download.html
Apple or Android: Bluefire Reader http://www.bluefirereader.com/
Kindle: Send to Kindle http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle
*Adobe Digital Edition 2.0 is downloaded through the iTunes store. If you do not have iTunes installed on your device you will be prompted to install iTunes before you can download Adobe Digital Edition.
The first time you open a protected book, Adobe Digital Edition will ask you to authorize your computer. The best way to do this is to supply an Adobe ID or Vendor ID, associating the book with your ID. If you later wish to open the book on another computer, you can simply supply the same ID to open the book. If you don’t have an Adobe ID, click the “Create an Adobe ID” link. After creating the ID on the Adobe website, you can close that browser window, return to Adobe Digital Edition, and enter the newly-created Adobe ID.
If you choose to authorize without an ID, Adobe Digital Edition will enable reading of the book only on your computer. You will not be able to read it on other eReader devices or computers.
- From your search results click on the title of the book you wish to download.
- Click the “Download (Offline)” link located on the left side of the page.
- You will be prompted to sign in to your EBSCOHost account, or if you do not have an account you can choose “Create New Account.”
- Once you have signed in to your EBSCOHost account, you must choose the checkout period, either one day or two days. Then click “Checkout & Download.”
- The book will be automatically downloaded to your computer. If you use Firefox, double click on the green arrow at the top right of your browser to retrieve the downloaded file. The file will then be downloaded to Adobe Digital Edition on your computer.
- The eBook is now checked out to your account. You can view the book offline on your device using Adobe Digital Edition, or you can view the book online by going to your EBSCOHost folder.
- The book will expire in one or two days depending on your selection and you will not be able to open it offline. Once it has expired you will be prompted to remove the eBook from the Adobe Digital Edition program.
*You may check out and download only one book at a time.
Returning an eBook before it has Expired
- In Adobe Digital Edition, highlight the eBook you wish to return.
- Under the “File” menu, click on “Item Info.”
- Click on “Return.”
Transferring eBooks to a Portable Device
To transfer an eBook from Adobe Digital Edition to your portable device:
- Open your downloaded eBook in Adobe Digital Edition. If you have not authorized Adobe Digital Edition with your Adobe ID on your computer, you will need to complete that step first. You will be prompted to enter your Adobe ID and password the first time you try to open an EBSCOHost eBook with Adobe Digital Edition on your computer.
- Connect your portable device to your computer with a USB cable.
- Turn on the device. Adobe Digital Edition will automatically detect the presence of your device and offer to authorize it with your Adobe ID. Just as the Adobe Digital Edition software must be authorized with your Adobe ID on your computer, the portable device must also be authorized to be able to transfer protected content to and from the device.
- Click “Authorize Device.” Click “Finished” after your device is authorized.
- After authorization, the device appears as a new bookshelf in your library. Transfer items to and from the device bookshelf by clicking on the book title, then dragging and dropping the title into the device bookshelf. Note: Do not disconnect the device while you are in the process of transferring a title to the device.